Sunday, June 7, 2009

L for Lazy

Yeah, I guess the word 'lazy' sums up the reason why my previous post was almost a month ago. Lazy + busy actually. Besides trying to do 'catch-up' during the weekends with friends, the weekdays saw my ear being plastered to the headset, receiving calls from customers all over Singapore (yes, still in Call Centre). To those that've been asking, yep, my contract officially ends on 23rd June. Hoorah.

Oh my, I didn't even finish my Japan post =X

But let's try something new here, shall we. Since 99% of the people out there have Facebook, please view my Japan photos there, since there's space for comments as well, which doubles up as a blogpost.

So that settles the Japan post :P And I'm sure you know, I just had my 21st birthday party. It was a success in more ways than one =) Really, really thank all who came and all who made that possible. You know who you people are. And since that's something so special, I shall feature some photos here!

But firstly, for those who still 'miss' those photos of woebegone times which I displayed on my slideshow, here are some key ones.. Get ready for the embarrassment all over again.

My grandma and me.

On my 5th birthday with my cousins. From L to R: Eugene, looking cheeky; Ming ming, smiling w/o showing her teeth; Roxane, feeling so excited (but it's not her birthday); Me, staring at my cake; Elicia, totally enthusiastic.

My birthday with my primary school friends. I'm so putting this on Facebook.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. I'll probably post all the old photos on Facebook soon. Liang Wei, I know you want them. Please wait patiently..

Okay, are you ready? Here's my 21st Birthday aka Movie Magic aka Not a lot of people bothered to dress in-theme aka One of the best moments of my life =)

Getting ready..

Some of my friends thought he was my emcee. He's my ever-spontaneous uncle Vincent! And yea that's me, adhering to my theme :p

This is just so wrong.

My coolio primary school friends. See if you recognise any of these peeps (besides me) from the birthday photo above.

Cool shot of friends and the function room. Weee, my self-taken photo of Botanic Gardens is in the background!

The 'new men' plus regular Sgt Kang.

Me, Jing Wei (one of two people who're BP+NJ friend), and Lady Shrek aka Rayna.

Army buds! Hmm, is Colin looking for some chio-bu? Or is it Lim Pin's gf? :X

Maybank staffers - people who I see five days a week (unless they take mc, or I take mc). Cheryl has the tendency to close her eyes. You'll see.

JC mates. Live long and prosper.

My classy emcee, Audrey Hedburn aka Min Si!

And here we are, watching the slideshow...



Movie Magic Quiz time!


The contestants thinking hard...


After a draw between Vanessa and Kang, (both scored 14/20), the tie-breaker was this: "Which movie did this quote come from: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." Kang immediately blurted out the answer even before I could countdown: "Moulin Rouge!" Sorry, Vanessa, I really thought you'd win hahaha.

And here's the winner =)

And thanks all for participating! Everyone's a winner =)


And the cake-cutting commences..


Woohoo! Oscar cake =)) Nice, hor? Didn't have time to admire it that day. Didn't even have time to eat much that day :X

Yep, I'm 21..

My family plus my beloved grandmother. Should've taken a proper shot. Well, at least mama and my bro was looking at the camera ;)

Making a simple wish..


Family photo! Thanks to a good photographer who managed to coax such a natural and candid laugh on everyone's faces =D

GYPSies!

Secondary school group, looking studious and normal at first..

Then...
The first push... then...

Complete and utter mayhem! Don't worry, no cakes were harmed in this photography.

JC Group. And this one tried to make me little red riding hood..

24SA R&S!

Hmm.. this is too boring..

"MAYBANK!!" Now that's more like it!

Cousins! aka mahjong kah-kees.

My professional cake-cutter. Haha =D Requires skill okay.. shall employ you for future cake-cutting projects...

NJ Band!

The important women in my family.

Cool effect..

The 'fashionably-late' Lamerz who came in Black-and-white aka 无间道 aka Sex & The City!?


And here're the prizes for Best Dressed!

Uncle Vincent aka Huo Yuan Jia-cum-dragonball-cum-Tom Cruise Top Gun (the glasses)

My cousins, Ryan & Russell aka Pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean

The most talked-about character that night - Tess Moh aka Mrs Spock! You go, girl!

And anyway, on that topic, I might as well include my review of Star Trek (2009) the movie here =P

I give the movie:





I know what many people think - What the hell is Star Trek? Isn't that the old, nerdy and geeky show from the past that is the uncool version of Star Wars? Don't worry, that's what I thought initially as well.

But what made me change my mind? The trailer. It looks exciting and awesome (not like some Hollywood big-budget movies where they just keep blowing things up and call that a blockbuster). And, let me tell you, what I saw was exactly what I got.

Directed by the steady hands of JJ Abrams (TV's Lost), the remake of this cult-franchise is visually-stunning and exhilarating from start-to-finish. Boasting a strong cast and a gripping storyline as well, I dare say, it has everything the recent 3 Star Wars movie lack.

Watching the movie gave me the excitement of watching a classic space movie, but given today's heart-stopping graphic effects. I must say, this is perhaps the best of 2009's summer action releases (maybe until Transformers 2 come out).

FINAL SAY: This is the better star of the two mega-space franchises. And the tagline says it right - The Future Begins. This is the beginning of the resurrection of a classic - hopefully just like the Batman movies.


Okay, back to the best-dressed photos =p

Me and Lady Shrek aka Rayna! Btw, that's her daddy's shirt! Cooll..

Your movie characters line-up from L-R: Mrs Spock, Mrs Shrek, Casual Superman, Pirate 1, Pirate 2, Huo Yuan Jia-cum-Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

Thanks for helping out, peeps!

The full Maybank crew (besides Pearlyn). See I told you Cheryl had the tendency to close her eyes.

Me and my great, great photographer, Hannah. All photos courtesy of her. For those who've seen the scrapbook compiled by her and the rest of the photos on Facebook, you'd know how professional she is. Quick ask her to photograph your events now!
~

Yep, those were the highlights. Really wanna thank everyone again for the presents. Feel really blessed. And can the group that gave me the lava lamp please tell me. 'Cos I still can't figure out who gave me that :X
~

Okay, there were many random outings here and there which obviously I didn't report it here. But one outing did stand out, which was Wenjie's Anderson Sec alumni band concert. Photos courtesy of Vanessa, whose camera officially detects unglam shots of me. (Following photos courtesy of Vanessa)

Here's a run-down of the unglam pics..

Unglam #1: Seriously unintentional and seriously the most unglam photo I have besides the one on Szern's blog :XX

Unglam #2: Not as funny as the previous one but still as stupid.

Unglam #3 - Reminscent of their shot of me on the 21st birthday.

Being the spokesperson of Vitasoy.

Loyal employee of Maybank? I really like Maybank Tower's lighting. They rock.
~

Okay, here's the last movie review for this post: Terminator Salvation.

I give the movie:





When you can keep predicting what's going to come next, you know you're not watching a good movie. Besides having a terrible plot, the movie effects all seem bloated and worst, recycled from the director's previous movie: Charlie's Angels. The man, McG, seems to have brought his brand of absurdity over to this serious franchise; this cannot be compared to the mind-blowing yet realistic action in The Dark Knight.

FINAL SAY: Pity Christian Bale for acting in this. But if you're in for purely the action, this Terminator does deliver.
~


The next two movies I feel like watching is Man On Wire, the harrowing documentary of a man tight-rope crossing between New York's Twin Towers in the 1970's, and Drag Me to Hell, Spiderman's Sam Raimi's ode to old-school horror.

And of course, Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen. Hope it's a hell lot better than the first.

And here're two upcoming movies that I'm really quite excited about. Here are the posters:

The first ever animation to be the opening film for the prestigious Cannes Film Festival, a Disney/Pixar film won't disappoint, and you know it. HD TRAILER AVAILABLE HERE.

And the next movie that young adults are probably excited in (probably the more sadistic crowd):
Final Destination 4 aka The Final Destination. But will it really be the end? Tagline reads "Rest in Pieces." HD TRAILER AVAILABLE HERE.

Alright, shall end here.

Take care, peeps!

No comments: