Friday, August 14, 2009

i'm seeing STARS

Yup, as of 11 August 2009, I was officially a student of Nanyang Technological University. (And a proud student of Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information) =p

There are so many things to like about school. I like my Hall (of residence #8), because it's clean and newly-renovated (okay, tons of people are going to kill me right now). I like Wee Kim Wee! Even though it's only the first week of school, but I am excited for what's to come. I like meeting old friends in school. I like going for breakfasts in the morning before lecture starts. I like cheaper McDonald's. I like Canteen A and 2's food. And the list goes on...

But of course, there's that one thing that even the most loyal of students hate about school, and that's the infamous STARS.


I tell you, it's like a bunch of kiasu aunties snatching for that last piece of handbag on discount on the last day of the Great Singapore Sale. Then the rest of us are left to mull over leftovers.. Oh well.

However, even though STARS can cause potential nausea and dizziness, I still heart NTU. Looking forward to a great four years of opportunities and experiences ;)
~

And here's my review of one of the most eagerly-anticipated films this year, Up.
I give the film:





A film-release by Disney/Pixar is always a special occasion. Kids get thrilled. Adults can interested. You can always associate it with one of human-being's most pleasant of expressions - a smile.

And the audience do start smiling from the get-go - Pixar's trademark opening short (this time entitled Partly Cloudy) will immediately launch people into excitable chatter, and all for the right reasons. So you see, from the early days of Toy Story to last year's cinematic masterpiece, Wall-E, the beloved animation studio does set their bar quite high, and almost the same can be said for Up.

This story tells of a lonesome widower who, to evade authorities from tearing down his house and to fulfill a life-long promise to his late wife, embarks on a sky-high adventure by lifting his abode to the skies with the help of thousands of balloons. Along the way, an eager-to-please boy-scout gets involved (you'll see how), and together, they begin the journey of a life-time.

Sounds incredulous? The team behind Monsters, Inc doesn't think so. And the final product, which combines laughter with a unique tale of friendship, is bound to warm the hearts of the audience.

Although Up doesn't quite measure-up (pun unintended) to some of Pixar's greatest, I'm totally in love with the art behind it. From the stunning display of the multi-coloured balloons (namely the flying-off sequence) to the breath-taking scenes of Paradise Falls (please, catch this movie in its full 3D-glory), we can only applaud the studio for its dedication to the true essence of animation - inspiring to watch, accompanied with a moving storyline.

FINAL SAY: Funny, touching and beautiful to watch - there are no second thoughts about a Disney/Pixar movie; just watch it.
~

Alright, shall end here.

Take care, people! (Can't use 'peeps' anymore, since it now refers to my hall clan, hehe)

No comments: