Monday, November 30, 2009

In Awe

Before I let on as to what I am in awe of, shall shout something first:

WOOHOO! THE EXAMS ARE OVER!!
But this is not a very loud exclamation because there's still that sickening, tight feeling of the impending results.

Shall show you what I've been up to so far for the exams later, but first..
I give the film:





Film critic gods, please don't scold me. I know by critical consensus (37% on rottentomatoes.com) that 2012 'sucks', but I did really enjoy this disaster flick, silly storyline plus extravagant effects and all. I am going as far to say that in this decade of Hollywood, I am probably hailing the film as this generation's Jurassic Park, in terms of visual effects, that is.

Probably until James Cameron's Avatar come along. But more on that later.

2012 is based on the prophetical premise that the world will come to an end on that titular year, since the Mayan calendar concludes at that time, too. The film portrays this by explaining that the Earth's core will melt due to solar explosions on the surface of the sun, and this results in the movement of the tectonic plates, and you don't have to take Geography to imagine how that will turn out.

The myriad of characters that litter the show are mainly stereotypical, but its universal themes of love will undoubtedly move people. This is another reason, besides the effects, to catch this in the cinema. It's the collective company that matters, and it will definitely improve your movie experience, as it did mine.

And now for the star of the show. I've proclaimed on Facebook that 2012 is "going to be a shoo-in for Oscar's Visual Effects", and nobody can refute that. And judging from the lacklustre trailers of the reportedly US$500million Avatar, I am rooting for this to win.

I walked into 2012 expecting 'just another blockbuster', but look how I have rated the movie.

FINAL SAY: I forgot how many times I've said 'wow' during the film. It's a solid, terrifying and technically groundbreaking movie. What is stopping this from becoming this generation's Titanic? Probably Twilight: New Moon, which I still don't understand why.
~

And now for some pics~
New love: The fries of Carl's Jr.


New-found friend: Muji's (very affordable) food products. That bag of delicious tortilla chips only retails at $1.50.


This is related to my 4-day job (no, I'm not going to work at Prada, just a tongue-in-cheek moment I had, that's all) =D Speaking of which, I need to get black shirts.
~


And.. Impresario. Am excited for this. My song is getting some meat on its bones, thanks to the brilliant Tess Moh =)

Shall leave you guys with one of my fave country songs at the moment: Lady Antebellum's Need You Now. The other 'lady' that I like.



This post rocks. Good movie, good music, good food. =D

For those who've not completed the exams, I know how you feel, but you must hang in there okay! Promise to party like mad after that then ok liao.

Take care, people!

No comments: