Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Across 3 Languages


Hey peeps, I'm here to present 3 fantastics songs that I've recently acquired and they're arguably in my 3 fave languages.

1) English
2) Mandarin aka 华语
3) Japanese aka 日本語 / にほんご / Nihongo

Firstly, I've recently caught the movie Across The Universe (which i'll review later). It's a 1960's love-story woven altogether by Beatles' songs. And this is one of the most moving and powerful moments in the film.

Let It Be


~

Secondly, it's 林宥嘉 and 刘力扬's duet, 传说. It's an okay song but I've grown to really appreciate 林宥嘉. He's a fantastic singer. Can't wait for his album.

传说


~

Lastly, it's Mongol 800's Chiisana Koi No Uta from the series Proposal Daisakusen. Muahaha, finally found this song on imeem. This rocks!! Here's the vid + lyrics.

Chiisana Koi No Uta


~

Here's my review of Across The Universe.
I give the film:



This independent movie-musical was highly-anticapted by Beatles fans all over the world. For the first time ever, arguably the world's greatest band is finally getting a tribute on film. However, the movie opened to mixed reviews, and I can understand why.

Basically, the story is woven together conveniently for the sake of the songs, and the pacing is bad and jarring, the characters utterly forgettable in the first half of the movie.

However, the turning point is definitely Let It Be (see first video above). The arrangement of I Want to Hold Your Hand (sang by an ernest Asian girl) also deserves mention.

FINAL SAY: Average script and not-very-stellar Beatles tribute masked in sometimes over-the-top musical moments. But not without its gems.
~

Argh got guard duty tomorrow on Labour Day!

Take care, peeps!

No comments: