Monday, December 8, 2008

The Mahjong Days

Ok, firstly, there's something quite important that happened. But I don't want to mention much 'cos I don't want to remember it. Haha. (But FYI, I'm over it le)

I failed my driving test. Ouch. Even typing that sentence makes me wince. I should've passed! Yeah, of course, everyone who fails says that. But seriously, I mounted a kerb that I never mounted before during practise! Argh. And my instructor told me the tester I got is super nice. I should've passed if not for that stupid (immediate failure) mistake!

Grr. But ya, really, I'm over it (only sayang 'cos must fork out another $100+). And now I know quite a few people who didn't pass during first attempt =x Haha, let me be comforted for awhile can or not =p

Anyway, met up with zhiwei and fungi for dinner @ BPP right after test. All that laughing makes one forget ;) Then there was mahjong with cousins after that. So ya, totally forgotten 'bout the matter.

Met up with weilong to check out Japan airfare. Got a $751. Tomorrow going down to settle. Then yoketeng came along.

Went far east jalan jalan.

Then met up with them + bao yuan for mahjong @ my house.
Yay, Christmas came early.

Met up with Jean and Wanting @ shokudo raffles city. Supposed to be a section outing but wow, only three of us turned up. But yeah, it was fun, still.

Rosti - the sour cream rocked at first; then it just felt weird in my stomach.

Credit-card thin curry-tuna pizza. It's nice.



The 'section' outing. Joe and Julian where are you!?

Went to watch Bolt after dinner. Seriously enjoyed it!

Quite Awesome
Star Power:



Filmed in 3D format, Bolt is one of the very first movies to be screened in that format here in Singapore. Although I didn't catch it in it's supposed glory, watching this in a normal GV cinema was enough for me to appreciate how well this film was drawn.

Brought to you by Walt Disney Animation Studios, this animation is arguably the second-best after Wall-E this year. With great effects and very hilariously-written characters (Rhino the hamster is an immediate favourite now), both the adults and children in the audience were laughing their heads off.

The story is also well-written (about a dog who thinks he has superpowers because of his character in a hit TV series) and engaging.

FINAL SAY: This is a roadtrip you don't wanna miss. And in the words of Rhino: "Let it begin!!!"

I think I will watch this is 3D with my brother. It'll be worth it.
~

Besides Bolt, I also caught Cape No.7 (aka 海角七号)

Taiwan's Film Come-back
Star Power:



For those still clueless about this movie, here's what you've missed out:
It recently garnered 4 Golden Horse Awards, and it already is the biggest-ever movie in Taiwan, smashing even Titanic's records. It revived the career of Van Fan and it's music soundtrack is massively-popular now.

Well, what made it so successful?

1. Tear-jerker of a plot which crosses a WWII love-story with a modern one, in the form of 7 love-letters addressed to an old address, which is Cape No.7.

2. Good-looking leads. Van Fan and Chie Tanaka made the romance sizzled in the film.

3. Hilarious supporting characters. That old uncle who insisted he's a super-star is already a fan-favourite in Taiwan.

4. Great music. 无乐不作 and 国境之南 from the film's soundtrack are worth the listen.

Although the relatively uneven pacing (too much going on; what's the main point of the movie, anyway?) could be improved, but it already is one of the feel-good movies of the year.

FINAL SAY: A much-needed and gladly-welcomed revival of Taiwan cinema. Recommended.
~

Played mahjong today again. Tsk, 3 mahjong sessions in 4days.

Okay, shall blog about Britney's new album, Circus, next time. It totally rocks, btw.

Take care, peeps!

No comments: