Saturday, July 21, 2007

That DEATHLY-Orange Paper Bag


The time was 7:15a.m. when I reached Northpoint's (Yishun) POPULAR. I had just booked out from SISPEC camp and decided to drop-by and collect that thing.

I expected that I would not have to wait a second to get my hands on the final installment of J.K. Rowling's fantasy-franchaise. However, I was so wrong. There were already two queues snaking at the two counters when I entered. Unable to suppress my smirk, I joined the presumably shorter one and finally got hold of the adult version of HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS a good half an hour later.

I have to admit that I was quite excited. Fourteen minutes ago, at 7:01a.m., history was made. One of the most stupendously-incredibly-extraordinarily successful books of our generation (and probably our parents' generations) finally reached the hands of the public (12:01a.m. London time). It's crazy, I tell you. How many millions of people (adults and children) across the globe have awaited for this momentous day to come. And there I was, silently collecting my piece of history in the humble heartland mall.

I'm sure, like me, all of you who have read the beloved books would have grown so attached to the characters, particularly Harry, Ron and Hermione. That's why I was so distraught when I took a glimpse at the prologue of the 7th Book, consisting of a poem and a short paragraph on Death and everlasting friendship. It is inevitable. Rowling already mentioned a bloodbath. I hope she handles it well so that the readers can handle the deaths well.

My younger brother just walked into the room and read the last chapter of the book, Nineteen Years Later. I warned him gravely that if he so were to breathe a single word of the plot to me, he would suffer a fate of eternal doom. Suffice to say, he told me that from what he read, "it was a perfect way to end the series". He is only twelve years old.

Argh, I can't wait. But the book would have to wait. I'm going out now. However, nevertheless, I'm sure that the streets of Singapore (at least for today), would be filled with people carrying that proud, little orange bag, which contains an item that would undoubtedly go down in history as something special in their hearts.

(Read previous post for review on Order of the Phoenix)

No comments: