Sunday, August 3, 2008

'Mummy' Disappoints

I was quite a 'home-boy' for the weekend, because I'm on stand-by. Once they 'push the button' I must report back to unit in 2hours. (Zhiwei, you know about this, it's the same as yours. I also don't know why I'm involved in your unit. Bleah.)

But still, I managed to get out and catch The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor! (...while still on tenterhooks; every single sms I receive I will 'chua-tio')

Anyway, speaking of the movie, it's a gigantic let-down.

I give the movie:



I would've given it a 3-star rating if not for the fact that this was one of my beloved movie-franchaises from my childhood. Remember The Mummy and The Mummy Returns? They were every boy's fantasy: mystical and exciting Egyptian landscapes, authentic mummies, spellbinding ancient tales, guilty-pleasure Rachel Weisz...

...well, all of them are gone.

In their place, instead, are these: a cheesy plot about Qin Shi Huang being resurrected as a mummy (I'm sure he's turning in his grave now), tons and tons of messy CGI (doesn't help that I was sitting in the front row), a less-than-stellar unknown cast (no more sexy Rachel Weisz; and they even have an annoying 21-year-old son nobody cares about), and worst of all, a HUGE waste of Michelle Yeoh and Jet Li.

Yes, I know, the action is still entertaining, but there are too many let-downs that crippled this movie.

FINAL SAY: Hollywood is going China now (i.e. Kung Fu Panda), plus the upcoming Beijing Olympics, it's hard not to get caught up in all the 中国风. But if you really want to watch respectable Asian stars being treated with respect in a movie, go back to The Forbidden Kingdom (功夫之王) for some traditional Jet Li-Jackie Chan action.
~

Oh man, been so busy this sunday, working on the Windows Movie Maker! Yay, Lamerz Studio is currently producing it's first-ever movie (filmed on location in Redang Island!). Feel so professional. Wait and see, it'll be good ;)

This month is shitty busy. Shall not talk about it.

Take care, peeps!

No comments: