Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm Just That Into Curiousity

Curious, indeed.

Once in a while, a movie so unforgettable graces our screens that long after the credits roll, your world is still filled with thoughts and images of it..

Remember the brilliant Forrest Gump?

Now, in this decade, people will remember The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.


I give the film:






From the poster above (and I guess from the media), you would have heard of this Brad Pitt movie whereby he ages backwards. Yes, which means he is born an old man (the first poster on top) and slowly progresses in life and finally dies an infant.

Before you dismiss this as yet another weird kind of Hollywood movie, let me tell you that this story is as close you'll get as watching the entire life story of someone being played on screen.

Together with Benjamin you'll laugh, cry, and revel in whatever the world has to offer an innocent, old man as he grows into a wise, young man, however weird that sentence might sound.

And you can only hope that you'll live half the life of his.


Besides being deeply moving and beautifully nostalgic, the movie boasts great cinematography and sweeping storytelling.

At the core of this film is a love story between the growing old Cate Blanchett (looking stunning as always) and the growing young Brad Pitt (his boyish features but mature stature making him pitch-perfect for this role).


We follow the ups and downs of their love and eventually, the film's most magical moment happens, together with the film's classic line: "We're meeting in the middle... we finally caught up with each other.."

It hits you. They're at the prime of their lives, and the audience, like the characters, don't want that perfect moment to end.

But of course, as Benjamin reminds us throughout the course of the film, "Nothing lasts."

That's life for you.

But the one fine thing that endears, though, is the fact that we leave the theatre deeply touched by the life of this extraordinary individual, and we're left to ponder about the lives of our own.
~

Eh, not bad at all. I feel like that above article I've written can be featured in a newspaper! =p

But anyway, yea, you can tell I really like the movie. Even though I predicted that Slumdog Millionaire will win the Oscars (it really did!), I would think that Curious Case was the better film. It is more nuanced and defeinitely deserves to be revisited more than once. Although Slumdog is the clear audience favourite, it was Curious Case that left me in awe.

By the way, for people who didn't know, I reviewed Slumdog Millionaire two posts ago.

Moving onto the next much talked-about movie, He's Just Not That Into You.

I give the film:






Although I'm not that into this movie, I was interested 'cos of dear Jennifer Aniston! Who, I must say, is starting to look her age (40).. =x

And of course, the stellar cast which includes Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long, Jennifer Connely, Ben Affleck, and the tragically under-used Drew Barrymore (but doesn't matter, she's probably more busy as executive producer for the film).

It is definitely interesting to watch the ensemble explore the perks and quirks of modern relationships, albeit sometimes presented in a rather cliched way.

Two notes to add, though:
1) Despite having little attention throughout the movie, Drew Barrymore scored the funniest scene, which, incidentally, can be seen in the trailer.
2) Scarlett Johansson has got to stop acting the same husband-snatching, seductive, veluptuous (this one is not her fault) and aspiring-artiste role! Her character here is the exact replica of Vicky Cristina Barcelona's.

Aside from those two gribes that I have, it's a funny and sweet movie all in all =)
~

Been driving here and there when I get the chance, but still under Dad's guidance of course. *Turning must slow down.* *In the carpark must drive slower.* *When making U-turns cannot act like I'm in The Fast and the Furious.*

Sorry, was talking to myself.

Oh man, it seems like I've got myself another mini-trumpet gig. Remember my 15secs of fame on Channel 8 last year? Can go see my archive posts. This time if all goes well, you'll just hear me on TV.

Update on the status soon.

Take care, peeps!

No comments: