Sunday, March 16, 2008

=S

There are scary elements in this post =p

Firstly, Rule #1 aka 第一戒.
Met Fungi and Zw (only, 'cause some of them were too scared to watch) on Friday evening. After a movie-timing mistake (or is it? I want to complain about Shaw!), we hurried from Lot1 to Westmall to catch the 9:15pm movie.


I give the movie:



After a moderately passable first attempt (The Maid), Singaporean film-maker Kelvin Tong decides to hit the regional circuit this time with yet another Asian horror fare. I'm happy and proud to say that he does serve up an above-average, scary movie with a good twist.

We all know that the rule #1 here is going to be bulls**t, so audiences venture into the cinema expecting your usual horror scares. The movie does deliver some effective, freaky sequences (the now-famous one would be the 'screaming' swimming pool) and you've been warned: the rating NC16 was partly for gore.

The acting here is superb, even though the script got a little unbelievable and sketchy towards the middle. Our very own Fiona Xie proves to be competent beside co-stars like Shawn Yue and Ekin Cheng. To hear her emote in Cantonese, visit this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXTFxgUbN9c (1:42)

For people expecting a happy-ending, you'll be quite surprised. You may not agree with the twist in the end but it was well-executed and timely; perfectly haunting for the mood of the film.

FINAL SAY:
A slightly screwed-up middle part but overall, a good effort. Let's hope the quality of Asian horror will take this as a benchmark and improve again.

~
It's been a looonng time since I've watched horror movies. Which was why I dreaded a number of scenes during the movie! Even Fungi said at the first 15mins: "I regret watching this liao." Lol. Zw sat quite far away so he jump in his seat I also dunno =x But anyway, I won't mind spending $ to scare myself if the story is good and not a waste of time =P

~
Next up, another scary but non-horror flick, No Country For Old Men.

I give the movie:



I have to admit: I can't appreciate the movie fully simply because I don't understand some parts of it, which is a pity since it was this year's Oscar Best Picture. It's based on a novel, which makes it even harder to comprehend.

But anyway, the film is full of real suspense and I believe Hollywood hasn't created a more fearful serial killer since Hannibal Lector (the cannibal doctor from Silence of the Lambs, incidentally also a novel).

FINAL SAY:
A very beautifully-filmed movie with thrills and scares along the way. But I don't get why it won Best Picture, when I felt Juno was better =P

~
On Saturday Roxane Elicia and Eugene came over for overnight mahjong. I one person won everybody, but still, asked them to pay a bit only lah. It's okay. We have fun can le. And, this was quite a freaky picture:


Don't worry, that shady figure is not a ghost, it's me!

~
Lamerz came over on Sunday for a secret mission. It's confidential since the event hasn't taken place yet =P

Anw, we discussed about our proposed-holiday trip in July. Want to go Phuket and Bangkok together but news just in: Pj's cousin say July is monsoon season. Which means if we don't want to get washed back to Singapore via the sea, we should avoid going there on holiday =P

But where else can we go?? Taiwan zw don't want. Might be going with cousins eoy also. Hk got SARS (again). Hmmmm, any suggestions, people?

Same old jokes took place. Sze had a blast playing "Poke the Grape" =X Thanks to sze for the FREE Kettle-cooked Lays potato chips you koped from NUS openhouse! Wahaha. And serkun for making it in time. For Bee Hoon. haha jkjk. Fungi and Mr Eunos (ok, this is my fault lah). Make it clear people, apparently she didn't go on a date =x lol. But thanks ah, miss, my clothes you haven't help me iron and fold then you go home. =P

~
Whoa, quite a long post. Shagged.

Tomorrow public road driving assessment! Argh!

Take care, peeps!

No comments: