Tuesday, November 13, 2007

10 Reasons Why I'm an Ah-Pek

You know what... I think I'm an ah-pek trapped in a young man's body. Was just thinking through the things that I enjoy doing in life... and I realised that I do have some "mature" tastes =x

Is it normal? You be the judge ba..

10 REASONS WHY I'M AN AH-PEK



1) I enjoy playing mahjong. Sitting around with friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon, playing a few rounds, talk about our life so far ... I also think it's very normal when I play with my grandmother, aunties and uncles.

2) I enjoy listening to oldies. My favourite songs are all on Class 95 and 883. Beatles, Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Elton John, 张学友, Beyond. Some notable ones include Love, me by Colin Raye, Hotel California by Eagles, Your Song by Elton John, 真的爱你 by Beyond.



3) I own a copy of The Phantom of the Opera (Original 1987 Broadway Version). And I enjoy it. There's something classic, beautiful and peaceful about listening to All I Ask of You at night with a good stereo system ...



4) I enjoy sipping teh and eating toasted bread and egg. Best accompanied with the morning papers.

5) I have no qualms sitting with one leg on the chair. I do that very often while playing mahjong. And sipping teh and eating toasted bread and egg.

6) I like plain-coloured things. I have a plain, brown leather wallet. I like wearing white or brown shirts. My entire room is colour-coded blue.



7) My dream car is an Audi. Shouldn't I day-dream about Lamborghini or some pimped-up sports car? Yes, they look cool. But I still like the shape and sleekness of a good, plain Audi ...


8) I still think the fastest way to treat a stomachache is to drink Ya Hom Powder (5 Pagodas Brand). It's this BITTER brown-powdery mixed with warm water. It's a formula passed down from my grandma. Gives you a good feeling in your stomach.

9) I prefer old Channel 8 dramas than the new ones. Remember 出路,福满人间,和平的代价,豆腐街 and 阳光列车? I don't mind spending one stay-home afternoon watching them. The actors and stories are much more engaging than today's superficial 'modern-ised' dramas.

10) My last meal would be a warm home-cooked meal of Teochew porridge with salted vegetables and "white-stomach" steamed fish with red chilli. There's something comforting and fulfilling about them that's hard to explain. I just know that if I'm dying in one hour, I wouldn't want to poison myself with McDonald's or KFC.

~
So... am I an old-fart? I do like 'young' stuff that ah-peks won't do, too. Like rollercoasters @ theme parks (it's exhilarting), Jay Chou's music... And I'd choose Desperate Housewives over Discovery Channel, the Wii over a chess-set and Slurpee over Chinese Tea.

Ok, maybe I'm just being paranoid. It's alright to have acquired tastes, right? But ... I'm not even twenty yet...

Oh what the heck. I give up.

Booking in soon. I don't care. Like means I like. You don't have be balding and a beer-belly to enjoy mahjong. =x =P

(To think that I specially took a day's off next week just to play overnight mahjong with my cousins who just finished A Levels / O Levels. Guess it runs in the family?)

Take care, peeps!

No comments: