Sunday, November 18, 2007

Loong Weekend

I'm going to try to keep this short, 'cause I've just completed an exhaustive list of the TOP40 movies of 2007. I'm quite excited about it. It's literally ten-times longer than my RANDOM Awards list, but ten-times better. I'll post it next week if I can. Need some touching up.

Hmm. Had a long weekend 'cos I took off on thursday (just for the heck of it) and a half-day off on friday (just so I can sleep one more night at home).

When I woke up on fri morning discovered I got sore-eyes. Yay. Which means one day MC.

Yea. Friday night went to watch Beowulf with zhiwen. Wanted to catch Stardust but it was all sold-out! See, I knew it'd be good. Bumped into soonbeng and farhan @ cine. Soonbeng said stardust is good. Dammit.

Anw, I give Beowulf WooooW (3.5/5)


This is going to appear in my TOP40 list also. Check it out to see where it's ranked =)

Anw, this movie is entertaining but frustrating. It's good because of the grandeur of the poem it is based-upon, and the masterful technology used to realise the text on-screen. But it's precisely this CGI that fails the film.

PLUS POINTS: Although the starting scene was as stilted as Shrek's animation, there are some really eye-popping visuals along the way. The producers / animators succeeded at the sweeping landscapes of mountains and seas; and the dragon (which only shows up at the end) is a terrifying feast for the eyes. I can say it's the best-drawn dragon ever to appear on screen. The characters' bodies and faces are also sickly-realistic. On a side note, I have to say they handled the sexy-mama-angelina-jolie-meets-beowulf scene very well. That's the reason why it's NC16 =x

FLAWS: Why can't they invest the money into a live-motion picture? I'm sure it'd be extremely impressive, and I dare-say, on par with LOTR trilogy. The animation makes the characters un-feeling and emotionless, despite them looking scarily-real.

LAST-SAY: Exciting at parts, albeit being a little lengthy on the storyline (but it's based on an ancient poem, so, oh well). Can marvel at the visuals, but don't bother feeling for the characters. You'll blame yourself in the end.

~
Played mahjong with zhiwei serkun and fungi (again) on saturday. won a bit. We're thinking of something more outdoor-sy the next time round. Don't want to always be cooped up in that air-con room playing mahjong, listening to the same chinese songs =p and ordering mac =x =p

Booking in tonight.

Take care, peeps!

No comments: